From time to time, ocean science runs squarely into art, literature, film, and more. From film previews to book signings, these evening activities are a relaxed and informative way to experience ocean and nature-inspired art and media.
Past activities include spectacular photographic shows, film previews, book signings and talks from authors, mixed media work as well as presentations. Join us for formal presentations or informal meet-and-greets with artists and authors throughout the year.
Below are examples of past events.
Artwork, photography, or exhibit openings
- Running the Numbers, Chris Jordan (mixed media, traveling exhibit)
- Tiny Drifters, Laura Beach (educational and graphic presentation of diatoms)
- Sea Otters from Bryant Austin (photography)
- Radiographs from the California Academy of Science
- Peregrine Falcons from Glen Nevill (photography)
- Underwater in Black and White, Art Hazeltine (photography)
- Whimsical Visions of Undersea Life, Ket Tom-Conway (watercolor paintings)
Film openings or sneak previews
- Coastal Clash
- A Seal’s Life
- Keiko, Beyond the Headlines
- Terrie Williams, “The Hunter’s Breath”
- Gary Griggs, several titles
- Todd Newberry, “The Ardent Birder: On the Craft of Birdwatching”
- Marc Shargell, “Wonders of the Sea”
- Lucy Spellman, “The Rhino with the Glue-on Shoes, and Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets”
Other special events
Presentations by photographer and conservationist Frans Lanting
Commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake
Please check our calendar for current offerings.