Frans Lanting Presents
A Celebration of California’s Central Coast
Frans Lanting and Chris Eckstrom
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Two shows: 3 PM or 7 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
$23 General Admission/$19 Seymour Center Members
Tickets available at:
Brown Paper Tickets
Seymour Marine Discovery Center
Join us for a special presentation by renowned photographer Frans Lanting in celebration of the Monterey Bay, his home ground for the past 30 years. Frans will share images and stories about the Monterey Bay region–one of the hottest hot spots for biodiversity in North America, according to The Nature Conservancy.
The Bay’s natural richness is due to an unusual combination of microclimates onshore and physical features offshore, and Frans’s presentation will tie together terrestrial and marine environments to show the dynamic linkages between them. He portrays the Monterey Bay the way he has profiled exotic ecosystems on other continents, but with a personal perspective embedded in the story. His images feature a remarkable cast of characters, from mountain lions and condors to sea otters and elephant seals, in a place that represents a unique convergence of land and sea, where endangered endemics mix with cosmopolitan migrants.
Join us for a fascinating afternoon or evening of discoveries and insights about the remarkable region many of us call home.
Jo Lynne and Fred Jones
By Gary Griggs and Deepika Shrestha Ross
Photography by Kenneth and Gabrielle Adelman
Learn about California’s 1,100-mile ever-changing coastline. This new book features 150 of the best photographs from this scientifically valuable, yet truly artistic collection of more than 80,000 images taken by Kenneth and Gabrielle Adelman. Oceanographer Gary Griggs and architect Deepika Shrestha Ross provide insightful narrative, describing the natural features, their changes over time, and human efforts to tame them.
Books available for purchase in the Ocean Discovery Shop.
Sponsored by Allterra Solar
From time to time, ocean science runs squarely into art, literature, film, and more. From film previews to book signings, these evening activities are a relaxed and informative way to experience ocean and nature-inspired art and media.
Past activities include spectacular photographic shows, film previews, book signings and talks from authors, mixed media work as well as presentations. Join us for formal presentations or informal meet-and-greets with artists and authors throughout the year.
Below are examples of past events.
Artwork, photography, or exhibit openings
- Running the Numbers, Chris Jordan (mixed media, traveling exhibit)
- Tiny Drifters, Laura Beach (educational and graphic presentation of diatoms)
- Sea Otters from Bryant Austin (photography)
- Radiographs from the California Academy of Science
- Peregrine Falcons from Glen Nevill (photography)
- Underwater in Black and White, Art Hazeltine (photography)
- Whimsical Visions of Undersea Life, Ket Tom-Conway (watercolor paintings)
Film openings or sneak previews
- Coastal Clash
- A Seal’s Life
- Keiko, Beyond the Headlines
- Terrie Williams, “The Hunter’s Breath”
- Gary Griggs, several titles
- Todd Newberry, “The Ardent Birder: On the Craft of Birdwatching”
- Marc Shargell, “Wonders of the Sea”
- Lucy Spellman, “The Rhino with the Glue-on Shoes, and Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets”
Other special events
Presentations by photographer and conservationist Frans Lanting
Commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake
Please check our calendar for current offerings.