By Gary Griggs and Deepika Shrestha Ross
Photography by Kenneth and Gabrielle Adelman
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Seymour Marine Discovery Center
Presentation • Book signing • Reception
Come learn about California’s 1,100-mile ever-changing coastline. This new book features 150 of the best photographs from this scientifically valuable, yet truly artistic collection of more than 80,000 images taken by Kenneth and Gabrielle Adelman. Oceanographer Gary Griggs and architect Deepika Shrestha Ross provide insightful narrative, describing the natural features, their changes over time, and human efforts to tame them.
Open to the public. Seating is limited. First come, first served.
Doors open at 5:30 PM.
Books available for purchase in the Ocean Discovery Shop.
Sponsored by Allterra Solar
From time to time, ocean science runs squarely into art, literature, film, and more. From film previews to book signings, these evening activities are a relaxed and informative way to experience ocean and nature-inspired art and media.
Past activities include spectacular photographic shows, film previews, book signings and talks from authors, mixed media work as well as presentations. Join us for formal presentations or informal meet-and-greets with artists and authors throughout the year.
Below are examples of past events.
Artwork, photography, or exhibit openings
- Running the Numbers, Chris Jordan (mixed media, traveling exhibit)
- Tiny Drifters, Laura Beach (educational and graphic presentation of diatoms)
- Sea Otters from Bryant Austin (photography)
- Radiographs from the California Academy of Science
- Peregrine Falcons from Glen Nevill (photography)
- Underwater in Black and White, Art Hazeltine (photography)
- Whimsical Visions of Undersea Life, Ket Tom-Conway (watercolor paintings)
Film openings or sneak previews
- Coastal Clash
- A Seal’s Life
- Keiko, Beyond the Headlines
- Terrie Williams, “The Hunter’s Breath”
- Gary Griggs, several titles
- Todd Newberry, “The Ardent Birder: On the Craft of Birdwatching”
- Marc Shargell, “Wonders of the Sea”
- Lucy Spellman, “The Rhino with the Glue-on Shoes, and Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets”
Other special events
Presentations by photographer and conservationist Frans Lanting
Commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake
Please check our calendar for current offerings.