COME PARTICIPATE IN THE UC SANTA CRUZ SATELLITE REEF
OPEN TO ALL… NOVICES TO EXPERTS!
Sunday, October 23, 2016
Seymour Marine Discovery Center, La Feliz Room
Join co-creators Margaret and Christine Wertheim of the Institute For Figuring (IFF) for a crochet workshop at the Seymour Marine Discovery Center. Come learn the techniques of hyperbolic crochet and be part of UC Santa Cruz’s Satellite Reef. Crocheters at all levels of experience are welcome, from novices to experts. No prior crochet skill is needed, but if you are experienced you’ll pick up the possibilities quickly. Materials will be provided, although experienced crocheters are encouraged to bring their own.
The Institute For Figuring’s Crochet Coral Reef is a spectacularly beautiful, artistically complex, and socially powerful way to bring people together around a devastating ecological challenge—the survival of the coral reefs and marine ecologies throughout the world. Since its first public showing in 2006, the Crochet Coral Reef has been exhibited in twenty countries and seen by over half a million viewers. The UC Santa Cruz Satellite Reef is the newest addition to the IFF’s world-wide reefing network.
The UC Santa Cruz Satellite Reef will be exhibited at the Seymour Marine Discovery Center beginning in May 2017.
UC Santa Cruz Satellite Reef Crochet Circles at the Seymour Center
Sunday, November 6, 2016 — 2 to 4 PM
Sunday, December 4, 2016 — 2 to 4 PM
For more crochet circle opportunities at UC Santa Cruz, please visit the Institute of Arts and Sciences website.
From time to time, ocean science runs squarely into art, literature, film, and more. From film previews to book signings, these evening activities are a relaxed and informative way to experience ocean and nature-inspired art and media.
Past activities include spectacular photographic shows, film previews, book signings and talks from authors, mixed media work as well as presentations. Join us for formal presentations or informal meet-and-greets with artists and authors throughout the year.
Below are examples of past events.
Artwork, photography, or exhibit openings
- Running the Numbers, Chris Jordan (mixed media, traveling exhibit)
- Tiny Drifters, Laura Beach (educational and graphic presentation of diatoms)
- Sea Otters from Bryant Austin (photography)
- Radiographs from the California Academy of Science
- Peregrine Falcons from Glen Nevill (photography)
- Underwater in Black and White, Art Hazeltine (photography)
- Whimsical Visions of Undersea Life, Ket Tom-Conway (watercolor paintings)
Film openings or sneak previews
- Coastal Clash
- A Seal’s Life
- Keiko, Beyond the Headlines
- Terrie Williams, “The Hunter’s Breath”
- Gary Griggs, several titles
- Todd Newberry, “The Ardent Birder: On the Craft of Birdwatching”
- Marc Shargell, “Wonders of the Sea”
- Lucy Spellman, “The Rhino with the Glue-on Shoes, and Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets”
Other special events
Presentations by photographer and conservationist Frans Lanting
Commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake
Please check our calendar for current offerings.