Discovery Lab & Tours are available from October 21, 2014 through June 5, 2015.
Due to the popularity of these programs, a lottery is held each fall in an effort to schedule Discovery Labs in the most fair and efficient way.
We are currently accepting Discovery Lab & Tour applications for inclusion in our Fall 2014 lottery. For your 2014-15 Discovery Lab application to be included in the lottery, it must be RECEIVED no later than 5 p.m on Wednesday, September 10, 2014.
After the lottery, available openings will be listed on the Field Trip Calendar and are filled first come, first served.
Submit an Application
- Download the Marine Science Education Programs Brochure and carefully read the instructions on page 5.
- Fill out the Discovery Lab Application on page 11 of the brochure.
- With each application, enclose payment information, either in the form of check, purchase order (PO), or credit card. Please do NOT send cash. Checks will be cashed, credit cards will be charged, and POs will be invoiced in late September. Make checks and POs payable to “Friends of Long Marine Lab/UC Regents.”
- Mail completed applications ASAP. Applications (with payment information) must be received by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 to be eligible for lottery assignments.
- Applications for Discovery Lab & Tours are taken by mail only. We do NOT accept applications by fax, phone, or e-mail.
- Applications received after the lottery deadline will be processed on a first come, first served basis.
Group leaders receive confirmation packets in late September. Teachers scheduled for October Discovery Labs will be notified by phone in mid-September to allow adequate planning time. You will receive a receipt in your confirmation packet. If you do not receive a confirmation letter by October 3, please notify us at (831) 459-3800.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
If we are unable to schedule a Discovery Lab & Tour on any of the dates you submitted for your class, you will not be charged/invoiced. However, any cancellation made by a group leader after the Discovery Lab has been scheduled and confirmed is non-refundable, unless another group fills the space.
32 students maximum per Discovery Lab & Tour—no exceptions. Do not bring any additional students or unscheduled groups. Siblings are not permitted in the classroom during the Discovery Lab but are welcome on the guided tour.
Please bring only the number of adult chaperones necessary to transport your students. Only five adults—the teacher and up to four chaperones—are permitted inside the classroom during the Discovery Lab. Remaining drivers, chaperones, and siblings may explore the exhibit hall on their own during that time. They are welcome to rejoin students for the guided tour. All adults are expected to assist with supervision and appropriate student behavior.