An Interactive Phytoplankton Lecture and Lab
Join us for an interactive exploration of the complicated world of phytoplankton, a group of marine microorganisms. Watch as we place a drop of seawater from Monterey Bay underneath a powerful microscope, and display the tiny creatures on a big screen. A knowledgeable plankton expert will describe the plankton we see, illustrate why plankton is critical to life on Earth, and answer all questions—big or small!
How to Attend
Phyto-fun is included with admission to the Seymour Center.
Due to COVID-19 capacity restrictions, only 40 in-person lecture passes are available. Passes are first-come, first-served. No advanced reservations.
- Lecture passes are available at the admissions counter at 10 AM.
- Doors open to the lecture hall at 10:30 AM.
- Seating is limited and first-come, first-served. No late seating. No advanced reservations.
Phyto-fun is only offered in person at this time.
Phyto-fun is for everyone interested in the tiny world around them. Join us on the second and fourth Saturday in March, and the second Sunday in April for an interactive lecture and lab. A phytoplankton expert presents current research and topics in an entertaining and easy-to-understand format, with up-to-date video and discussion.
- Time: 11 AM; lecture + labs are 45-minutes long, and include time for questions.
- Location: Seymour Marine Discovery Center (in person)
- Recommended for all ages.