Virtual expedition for marine science enthusiasts
February 8-24, 2021 • Mondays and Wednesdays, 2:30-4 PM PST
Expedition 1: Protecting Dolphins and Whales from Oceanic Noise
Join us for this unique virtual expedition as we go behind the scenes with UC Santa Cruz’s Marine Mammal Physiology Project at Long Marine Lab to explore how Dr. Terrie Williams is racing to protect dolphins and whales from oceanic noise.
- Interact with Long Marine Lab’s expert animal trainers and researchers to learn how they care for and train dolphins and seals to voluntarily participate in conservation science.
- Observe team research in action and learn how new technologies are developed to investigate animals in the wild.
- Understand how lab science underpins field research aimed at protecting narwhals and other marine mammal populations around the world.
Facilitated live through Zoom, this expedition consists of six engaging 90-minute classes. Each class session includes live-streaming time with the staff and resident animals cared for by the Marine Mammal Physiology Project at UC Santa Cruz.
Schedule and Details
February 8-24, 2021, every Monday and Wednesday
2:30-4 PM Pacific Standard Time
- Monday, February 8: Marine Mammal Physiology Project goals, people, and animals
- Wednesday, February 10: Resident animal identification, husbandry, and physical health
- Monday, February 15: Resident animal mental health, enrichment, and training
- Wednesday, February 17: Metabolic research and monk seal science
- Monday, February 22: Dolphin and whale science, data collection technologies
- Wednesday, February 24: Lab science relationship to wild narwhal conservation
Limited to 20 participants for a quality experience.
We will interact through Zoom––a video, audio, and chat platform. You will need a Zoom-compatible device and access to reliable high speed internet (2+ Mbps).
We recommend using a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer for the best viewing experience.
*Members receive priority registration.
How to Apply
Complete and submit this online registration application form.
Confirmation and Payment
- After submitting your registration application, you will be contacted within three business days to confirm enrollment (or placement on a waiting list).
- Applicants will be asked to supply payment by credit card when confirming their registration.
When notified of a cancellation at least 10 days in advance, we will attempt to fill the vacancy. If a replacement is found, we will refund the program cost minus a $50 cancellation fee. If we do not find a replacement, we are unable to refund any portion of the program fee.
*Members Priority Registration
Members of the Friends of Seymour Marine Discovery Center receive priority registration and a reduced fee for this program. Visit our membership page to become a member.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org