Translating NGSS for Instruction
Monday, August 20, 2018
9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Open to K-12 teachers
This workshop focuses on the purposeful integration of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) with Common Core ELA and is open to all grade levels with emphases on K-6.
- Deepen your understanding of NGSS
- Experience an integrated science and ELA lesson to develop a shared vision of standards-aligned instruction
- Explore NGSS 3-dimensional teaching and learning.
- Learn about curriculum resources
Participants will explore earth science Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) and engage in model lessons from K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and HS (including an outdoor experience) to examine:
- Common Core convergence using notebooks, sense-making discussions, close reading, and vocabulary development
- Formative assessment protocol to look at student work (notebook entries) and to guide instruction
- Phenomena and constructing explanations using crosscutting concepts (What that looks like at different grade spans K-12)
- Practices for sense-making (models, explanations, argumentation, obtaining, evaluation, and communicating information)
This NGSS teacher workshop is provided at no cost to participants through a partnership of the Santa Cruz County Office of Education, the Lawrence Hall of Science, and the Seymour Marine Discovery Center. Lunch is included in the workshop.
Location: Each workshop session will be held at the Seymour Marine Discovery Center in Santa Cruz.
Cost: There is no fee to attend; however, advanced registration is required.
Registration Deadline: August 15, 2018
To register: Contact Nehal Pfeiffer at
For more information: Contact Nehal Pfeiffer at(831) 466-5727
Join the Seymour Center Educator Mailing List to be notified when new educator workshops become available. Complete this form, or call us at (831) 459-3800.